Social media is a little green (inexperienced) in the lead generation world. At this point Social Media lead generation is an oxymoron. It is great for building relationships and follow-up, but you need a tried-and-true lead producer for lead generation.
Social Media Is For Being Social, Not Getting Leads.
I really haven’t seen any Social Media marketing that has paying customers calling you, coming to your store, or ordering online. Some Social Media provide channels for paid advertising but that’s not exactly what Social Media is all about. Social Media is about, well, being social. Being social and getting leads are two different things. One can lead to another, but if you’re spending your marketing budget to get more business (and who isn’t?), then you want to know it will get you more business. Not just maybe, but definitely.
SEO First, Social Media For Follow-Up
First, you want people who are looking for products or services to find you and know about your awesome offerings and why they should be buying from you and not someone else. After they have found you but aren’t ready to make their purchase then Social Media can help with follow up, as long as you have a good lead capture system so you have at least an email address if not a phone number and mailing address for them.
With many products or services there is a long sales cycle while people do their research, talk things over with their spouses and friends, and come to a decision long after they have found your business. That’s assuming they can find you in the first place which is what Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is about. Once they have found you Social Media allows you to:
- Develop a relationship with them so they will remember you later when they are finally ready to move forward with a purchase.
- Keep in front of them, eliminating the out-of-sight-out-of-mind syndrome.
- Have an affordable, if not free, means to stay in touch that is fairly easy to set up.
Social Media is better for follow up than for original lead generation because:
- Social Media simply isn’t very good at generating new leads
- It can require significant time investment to gain momentum
- Your message must compete with a lot of noise, often from the prospect’s friends and interests.
- It may take years of experimenting to find out if any Social Media actually works.
- Social Media does help you in long-cycle sales to develop trust and open lines of communication.
If you are contemplating a Social Media lead generation campaign or spending much time on it at all please call Kirby at 509-551-1060 to discuss how Search Engine Optimization can be an effective lead generator and serve as a foundation for your Social Media efforts.