According to studies done by Noble Samurai who studied the backlink profile of several websites targeted by a recent Google algorithm change, your “target backlinks” should not exceed 20% of your total mix of backlinks. A target backlink is one that has the keywords you’re trying to rank for. For the other 80% of your backlinks they suggest you have about half of them as brand backlinks, and the other half random backlinks. Brand backlinks include the name of your business, and random backlinks have such things as “click here” or “read more.”
In Google’s quest to reward normal, organic authority building and penalize activities that would not be considered organic, such as paying an SEO company like Kirbyworks SEO to build authority for your website, they have apparently determined that having more than 20% of your backlink profile in the target category is a good indication that your site lacks good content and the reason others are linking to your website is because you’re paying them to do it.
Does that mean Google will penalize your website if you hire Kirbyworks to do your SEO? No, not at all, as long as what we do is for the purpose of making your website appear to be gaining authority organically and naturally. Google understands that just having good content isn’t enough to get your site ranked and are not going to penalize your site just because you hire someone to get the word out about your site. What Google is going after are SEO companies that take the easy route to higher rankings and don’t do the work necessary to make it appear like you are growing organically. If an SEO company does what you would naturally do if you actually had time to do SEO instead of run your business and actually knew what to do then Google is going to reward you with higher rankings, whether you do it or I do it.